NELO Winter Challenge
The Portuguese Canoe Federation in partnership with NELO and the Montemor-o-Velho Council are pleased to bring you the 2013 edition of the PORTUGAL WINTER TRIAL - NELO WINTER CHALLENGE.
The Montemor-O-Velho High Performance center was recently completed and boasts state of the art facilities for sports like triathlon, rowing and canoeing. It meets all the standard Olympic requirements of a regatta course, and will be host to many major sporting events in the coming years. It already hosted the 2012 European Canoe Sprint Juniors and Under 23 Championships with great success, and will be followed by the European Canoe Sprint Senior Championships in 2013, the ICF Canoe Sprint World Cup in 2014, and the ICF Canoe Sprint Juniors and Under 23 World Championships in 2015.
Thanks to a climate in Portugal that allows paddling all year round, it gives the PORTUGAL WINTER TRIAL-NELO WINTER CHALLENGE the honour of putting all the infrastructure and organization to a preliminary test in preparation for the big events to come. This event will see not only the Portuguese readiness to host these events, but also will give the World a chance to see the Tegysport starting systems in action. These Systems which are distributed by NELO, will be used in all the starts of this event and those to come in the future.
Apart from being a Test Event for the Worlds, the NELO WINTER CHALLENGE is also a good platform for coaches and athletes to benchmark their standards and progress in training, as they pit themselves against the world´s best in a 2000m time trial, and a 200m race on the next day. .
Over 500 athletes are expected from over 20 countries, including many London 2012 olympians and medalists. This year, apart from our local favourites Teresa Portela, Fernando Pimenta and Emanuel Silva, we are honored to have the confirmed participation of the
- Alfonso Benavides and Ekaitz Saies (Spain)
- Anton Ryakhov, Yury Postrigay and Alexander Dyachenko (Russia)
- Sébastien Jouve, Arnaud Hybois, Maxime Beaumont, Mathieu Goubel, Romain Beugnet, Thomas Simart (France)
- Marta Walczykiewicz, Karolina Naja, Beata Mikolajczyk (Poland)
- Natasa Janics (Hungary)
- Martin Fuksa (Czech Republic)
- Peter Gelle and Ivana Kmetova (Slovakia)
NELO Winter Challenge (2000m + 200m) Winners
Individual prizes for all classes:
- 1st place – NELO Shop 75€ Voucher + Paddle (courtesy of Bracsa and Jantex; not appliable to Masters)
- 2nd place – NELO Shop 50€ Voucher
- 3rd place – NELO Shop 25€ Voucher
- 2000m Time Trial - Full results | Just podium
- 200m - Full results | Just podium
- 2000m + 200m aggregate
Check our video gallery of the 2012 races.
All the info for the next edition of the NELO Winter Challenge on the Oficial bulletin